“What we see depends on mainly what we look for.”
– John Lubbock
Publications | Presentations
Optimization and Learning
- Cubic minimization over spanning trees to minimize power loss over electricity distribution networks (coming up!)
- Limited Memory Kelley’s Method Converges for Composite Convex and Submodular Objectives – with Madeleine Udell, Song Zhou. Thirty Second Conference on Neural Information and Processing Systems (NIPS) 2018, Spotlight Presentation. | arxiv |
++ Song (Sam) Zhou qualified as a finalist in the INFORMS Undergraduate Operations Research Prize 2018!
- [Book Chapter] Computational Comparison of Metaheuristics – with John Silberholz, Bruce Golden, Xingyin Wang, to appear in Handbook of Metaheuristics 2018 (3rd edition), M. Gendreau and J-Y. Potvin, eds., Springer. link
- What works best when? A Framework for Systematic Heuristic Evaluation – with John Silberholz and Iain Dunning. Accepted for publication in the INFORMS Journal on Computing 2018. link | github | PDF
++ Received a Special Recognition from the INFORMS Computing Society 2016
- Solving Combinatorial Games using Products, Projections and Lexicographically Optimal Bases – with Michel Goemans and Patrick Jaillet. To be submitted to Mathematical Programming. link | PDF | LIDS/MIT article
- Newton’s Method for Parametric Submodular Function Minimization – with Michel Goemans and Patrick Jaillet. Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (IPCO) 2017. link | PDF
- Bregman Projections over Submodular Base Polytopes – with Michel Goemans and Patrick Jaillet. Optimization for Machine Learning Workshop at NIPS, 2016. link | PDF | Here’s a video of our projection method, Inc-Fix, in action!
- My PhD Thesis: Combinatorial Structure in Online and Convex Optimization, MIT (May 2017). PDF
Fairness and Unintended Consequences of Automated Decisions:
- Fairness in the Face of Uncertainty – with Michael Wang. (coming up!).
- Temporal Aspects of Individual Fairness – with Vijay Kamble (coming up!).
Applications in Applied OR: Algorithms, Optimization and Uncertainty
- [Power Systems] Robust Look-ahead Three-phase Balancing of Uncertain Distribution Loads – with Le Xie, Xinbo Geng. To appear in Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 52), 2019.
- [Routing] A 4/3 approximation for TSP on cubic 3-edge-connected graphs – with Nishita Agarwal, Naveen Garg. Operations Research Letters, 2018. link (new) | arxiv (old) | Poster
- [Promotions] An Efficient Algorithm for Dynamic Pricing using a Graphical Representation – with Maxime Cohen, Jeremy J Kalas and Georgia Perakis. Under review. link | PDF | Huffington Post Article
++ Finalist for the Service Science Section Student Paper Competition 2016
- [Robust Routing] A Scalable Robust and Adaptive Optimization Approach to Inventory Routing – with Joel Tay and Dimitris Bertsimas (under submission). link
- [Online Routing] Discrete Online TSP – with Michel Goemans and Patrick Jaillet.
- [Routing] Towards a 4/3-approximation for the Metric Traveling Salesman Problem. Master’s Thesis, IIT Delhi (2011). PDF
- [Combinatorics] The two-color Rado number for ax + by = (a+b)z – with Thulasi J. Rangan, Amitabha Tripathi. Annals of Combinatorics, 19 (2), pages 269-291, 2015. link | PDF
- [Network Security] SPAN: A Unified Framework and Toolkit for Querying Heterogeneous Access Policies – with Kristen LeFevre, Atul Prakash. In HotSec ’09 Proceedings of the 4th USENIX conference on Hot Topics in Security (2009). PDF